Hi PES friends!
I hope you have enjoyed your extended break and are ready to jump back into learning!
Below you will find a link to my guidance lessons as well as a link to my bitmoji classroom. I will post a new lesson each Thursday so be sure and check those out. Also, my bitmoji classroom may change some so always look there for new books, games and information!
I have missed you all so much and can't wait to see you in person!
Ms. Melissa's Bitmoji Classroom
Welcome Back Survey
Weekly Guidance Lessons
Listen to Mrs. Joyce Gives the Best High-Fives at https://www.showme.com/sh/?h=p38hlVw
Draw a picture of your hand. List five ways your school counselor can help you.
- You are Important!! That is why this week will be ALL ABOUT ME! I have told you the job of the school counselor so now I want to hear about you! I have included the link to an interactive "All About Me" booklet that you can type on. You may complete all or just a few of the pages that you feel are most important. Send those back to me in email with any additional information you would like for me to know. Also I have linked a reading to the book You are Important by Todd Snow. Can't wait to hear back from you!
- Week 4
- Today we are talking about mindfulness and the power of positive self-talk! First, I have included a powerpoint on what mindfulness is...
- Next, I would like for you to complete the padlet on positive self-talk. I cannot wait to see how you are able to change a negative thought to a positve one!
This week we are talking about friends and diversity. Diversity means differences and we are particularly talking about differences in people. We should be mindful (like we talked about last week) of those around us and appreciate all the differences they bring.
Please go to the Bitmoji Classroom and listen to The Crayon Box that Talked. After listening to the book you can complete the padlet listed below.
This week we will be reading the book Have you Filled a Bucket Today? I feel that this is important for you, my virtual students, to know that you can still play an active role in the classroom and filling buckets. I have a padlet for you to complete after listening to the book. Your responses my be a bit more creative about how to fill a bucket from home, but I also want you to think how you can do this in any activities you are a part of outside of school. I want to fill all of YOUR buckets by saying, I miss you and appreciate you for checking into our Guidance lessons weekly!
I hope that you guys have filled lots of buckets this week and that your bucket has been filled as well! I am SO thankful for all of you and the work you have put into virtual guidance, so today is Thankful Thursday! Listen to: The Thankful Book
Then, you may complete the padlet telling me all about the things you are thankful for:
There is also a fun activity in my bimoji classroom you can check out!
This week I have recorded a live guidance lesson from a 5th grade classroom. We are talking about anger and what we can do to control it.
- Hey guys! This week we are talking more about our feelings and emotions. S
- pecifically, we are still discussing anger and things we can do to control it. I hope that you enjoyed the live lesson from last week and have thought about some ways you can control your anger as well. I have updated my Bitmoji classroom with different stories and activities you can do at home. Also, below is a game for you to work on. Lastly, I would love for you to send me a video/message telling me about a time you controlled your fizz (anger). Tell me why you got angry and what you did positive to calm down.
Week of November 16th
- Thanksgiving is almost here! With that in mind I want you to focus on things you are thankful for in your everyday life. Your mom fixing you breakfast or maybe even your bus driver. A lot of our day is determined by our attitude and not our situation. I have updated the bitmoji classroom with a new book, The Very Angry Day That Amy Didn't Have and The Warm and Fuzzy. Are you giving warm fuzzies or cold prickles?
I have also included the game Impulsive turkey below. Here you can practice the coping skills/techniques you have learned through Soda Pop Head and our other anger management lessons.
Please read, The Longest Christmas List Ever at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIpsZkcdn0
Now complete the following padlet.. https://padlet.com/melissaridgeway1/7gg27fdz01poh82e
Make sure and visit my Bitmoji classroom as well!
December 10th: I have added some great Christmas books to my bitmoji classroom! Make sure and check in there at the top of my page!
December 17th: ontinue to listen to books from my bitmoji classroom and complete the survey below. Another activity is to write a note for those in assisted living/nursing homes. Have your parents help you mail it to any of the following addresses: Resident Eiffel Gardens Assisted Living 1025 Volunteer Drive Paris, TN 38242 As always, feel free to email me or contact me on Teams if you need to talk or have any questions!
Please complete the following padlet on bullying. https://padlet.com/melissaridgeway1/rado9wxkoz9vrocy
Then listen to Bully B.E.A.N.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hckEwTgPCEo
Watch the end of our live lesson on Bully Beans https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.loom.com%2Fshare%2F3a73f4a9ee934bdbb3cc1177c3558cca&data=04%7C01%7CMelissa.Ridgeway%40parisssd.org%7C4759b2fc22e74d306dd808d8b348822d%7C6417081b8cab4edf9459660e87013d2e%7C0%7C0%7C637456471300288266%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=W96wfIcHbc%2Bqx5i7DxBjJouEObSobfJkUnlWi1OEgGA%3D&reserved=0
February 4th: We have been talking lots about self-control, anger managment, confidence and bullying. This week we are switching gears and talking about College and Careers. This may seem like something that is a long way off for you but you can use lots of this information right now in your classroom. I have included a video of Mrs. James talking about work ethic. There are instructions in the video to stop and discuss along with a website you can look at. There is also a fun form at the end that you can fill out to see what jobs might interest you!
February 11th: In last weeks lesson we watched a video from Ms. James talking about College and Career Readiness. We were able to learn how important having a good work ethic is NOW as well as in the future at a career. We also talked about different types of jobs/careers such as a TRADE and INFORMATION CAREER. This week I am including some videos for you to watch on some specific jobs.
Let's talk more about trades. Choose some of the videos from the following website. All are about 4 minutes.
Also, the following link is for the Tennessee College of Appllied Technology where you can explore different trades and careers:
Every career requires different types of education. What type of information career or trade are you most interested in?